[ RadSafe ] attacks and immediate actions

Richard L. Hess lists at richardhess.com
Wed Sep 21 06:38:42 CDT 2005

At 04:36 AM 9/21/2005, Mauro Campoleoni wrote:
>Hi to you all.
>
>I'll probably be involved in writing intervention guidelines for
>immediate actions
>in case of major contaminations, like dirty bombs or similar scenarios.
>
>Is there anybody who can suggest me similar documents,
>or is willing to share with me some info?
>
>Thanks
>
>Mauro Campoleoni

Hello, Mauro,

I am a lay person, but after watching the disaster unfold in New
Orleans a few weeks ago, I think the key issue would be perception
management among the general population. AND, I think that needs to
start well in advance of the event.

Shortly after 9/11 with rumours flying (I was living in the Los
Angeles area at the time) the most coming effect I experienced was
joining this list.

I also bought a couple of cheap G-M counters that would count beta
and gamma (actually one even does alpha).

While I wouldn't want to walk into a dirty bomb situation I suspect
that mass panic (I won't suggest that Italy would suffer the
lawlessness that we saw in New Orleans) will be as much of a problem
and will possibly divert people who are needed for the real cleanup
within a few blocks of the device to other, less necessary duties.

I also think that publishing widely the exposure risks and being
honest and open with the numbers during the event would be useful. I
think people can absorb and process that. I see few to no reports in
the press where anything remotely quantifiable is published. I think
the most powerful communications tool would be a "contour map" of say
10-20X background (like a high-altitude plane flight), then some
higher but still safe for a day level and then what you consider a
real danger level. This needs to made available almost immediately to
the press and media.

I think New Orleans has proven that mass evacuations are impossible.
I think deep down we all knew that. A folksinger friend years ago
chided the nuclear power industry about evacuations with a line like,
"have you ever tried leaving on a Friday afternoon?"

Just some thoughts.

Cheers,

Richard
(not Dr.)