AW: [ RadSafe ] Excess deaths

Rainer.Facius at dlr.de Rainer.Facius at dlr.de
Fri Sep 23 08:54:11 CDT 2005

Dale:

Your remark is technically correct, although ever body knows that number of deaths within a given period of time -i.e. death rate - is what we are comparing.

On the other hand, your comment addresses a very important question, i.e., what constitutes a proper measure of 'detriment', in particular if competing risks (or benefits) have to be taken into account too. In such situations the (Healthy) Livespan Lost (HLL) in competing circumstances yields a much more rational criterion to select an optimum set-up, i.e., where HLL attains a minimum - especially if temporal distributions of death rates differ for one or the other of the options you have to select from.

Best regards, Rainer

Dr. Rainer Facius
German Aerospace Center
Institute of Aerospace Medicine