[ RadSafe ] British Scientist Criticises US Climate "Loonies" -Gulf "War" III??

farbersa at optonline.net farbersa at optonline.net
Fri Sep 23 12:56:28 CDT 2005

Hi all,
Are we losing the US Gulf War as-it-were?? A hyperlink below to a
criticism by a top British scientist advising the British government on
climate/pollution issues concerning the "lunacy" [his emphasis] of US
climate policy. Payback time? You can't fool Mother Nature forever. You'd
think Pres. Bush would remember and have taken to heart what his parties
Pres. Reagan had said [in a different context] in one of his speeches
while in office: "Facts are stubborn things".

============
SOURCE:

http://www.planetark.com/avantgo/dailynewsstory.cfm?newsid=32638

Excerpt from above:
British Scientist Criticises US Climate "Loonies"

        LONDON - "A leading British scientist said on Friday the growing
ferocity of hurricanes hitting the United States was very probably caused
by global warming and criticised what he termed US climate loonies over
the issue.
        Sir John Lawton, chairman of the Royal Commission on Environmental
Pollution which advises the government, made what the Independent
newspaper said was a thinly disguised attack on the stance of US President
George W. Bush's administration.

        "The increased intensity of these kinds of extreme storms is very
likely to be due to global warming," Lawton told the newspaper in an
interview.

        "If this makes the climate loonies in the States realise we've got a
problem, some good will come out of a truly awful situation," said Lawton.

        Less than a month after Hurricane Katrina devastated large areas of
the US Gulf coast, a new hurricane called Rita was roaring through the
Gulf of Mexico towards the centre of the US oil
industry..................."

===============================

The Bush administration's failure to adopt greenhouse gas emissions caps,
and dropping out of the Kyoto protocol has set the US on a disasterous
course that will cost this country dearly due to long-term climate
changes. Bush said we could not afford the costs of reducing carbon
emissions. It seems more the case that this country can't afford the costs
of adverse impacts on our nation due to global warming: 1000 deaths in LA
and MI, and a $100 billion to start rebuilding New Orleans after Katrina,
A Class 5 or 4 Hurricane Rita a few weeks later closing in on Texas with
adverse impacts that will be revealed in the next few days. Yeah, these
impacts from worsening hurricanes are a real bargain vs. dealing with the
climatic issues facing our country from overreliance on coal, oil, and gas.

Meanwhile, the environmentalists and the EPA worry about the theoretical
health effects of a mrem or less to some hypothetical person 10,000 years
in the future from nuclear waste disposal, claiming the nuclear fuel cycle
is "too dangerous" particularly waste disposal. If it all weren't so
tragic, it would be funny.

What a farce and a tragedy. However, the truth and wisdom of Abraham
Lincoln's oft quoted observation, in his comment below is as true today as
140 years ago:

  “With public sentiment, nothing can fail; without it, nothing can
succeed. Consequently, he who molds public sentiment goes deeper than he
who enacts statutes or pronounces decisions.”

The failure of endeavors employing nuclear technologies in power
generation, many medical applications, and other industries to tell their
story and gain broad public support/sentiment is at the root of
unnecessary adverse health impacts and has led to the mess we're in and
the squandering of vast sums of societal resources [$ and human capital].
The situation isn't going to change without a major change in approach by
government, industry, academia, and private groups to respond to the
realities of what we face and to begin to make decisions based on facts
rather than wishful thinking and dogma.

Stewart Farber
Consulting Scientist
1285 Wood Ave.