[ RadSafe ] British Scientist Criticises US Climate "Loonies"-Gulf "War" III??

JPreisig at aol.com JPreisig at aol.com
Fri Sep 23 23:24:19 CDT 2005

Dear Radsafe:

      This is from:    jpreisig at aol.com   .

       Hope all is well in Radsafe-Land.

       Rita is now a Class 3 Hurricane --- thank goodness!!!

       I won't argue with much of what Stewart Farber has written.  I believe
nuclear power is a good thing.  As for what the British Expert has said, I'm
not actually sure what is producing global warming.  Clearly, many world
societies rely too heavily on coal, gas and oil.  If the Chinese, Indian and
other
developing countries support their manufacturing growth with reliance on coal,
gas and oil, much of our Earth will suffer.  Nuclear power is an alternative
energy source.

      Global warming, at some level, is real.  I have written a few times
already
on radsafe about the effects of the various Earth wobbles (Annual
wobble, Chandler wobble, etc.) and the degree to which these wobbles
control the angle at which the Earth is inclined towards the Sun.  The
superposed annual and Chandler wobble frequencies form sum and
difference frequencies commonly referred to as a phenomenon known as
"beats".  See your undergraduate mechanics book (e.g. Marion) for a
discussion of beats/superposition, etc.

     The recent maxima in the superposed wobbles have occurred roughly in
1910, 1954 and 1998.  So, the Earth is just coming out of a time when
a geometric axis (fixed to the Earth's surface) is tilted more greatly towards
the sun.  This may explain increased Earth warming in the Northern
Hemisphere, especially at higher Northern Earth latitudes.  If necessary,
Sir John Lawton may want to call or e-mail Dr. Ray Hide (a notable
British atmospheric expert and wobble article writer) who might be able to
explain all this (in detail) to him.  A good article on Atmosphere, Wobble,
etc.
is Barnes,..., Hide and others.  The reference might be in one of Lambeck's
space geodesy books.

     Believe what you will.

     In the meantime, some US utility companies are trying to place their
spent nuclear fuel (dry storage) at a facility in Utah.  While it is good to
get such spent fuel away from moisture, rain, groundwater, etc, putting the
spent fuel in seismically active Utah is probably not such a good idea.  The
U of Utah geophysics/seismology website might be a good place to look for
information on Utah earthquakes.  Perhaps it is time to start shipping waste
to Yucca Mountain???  Do we need to model the hydrogeology, etc. of
Yucca Mountain out to times of 1000 or one million years???  Perhaps???
Sounds like job security to a health physicist/geophysicist/geologist like
me.  See y'all in Vegas???  (Stop by Yucca Mountain--- maybe they can
get you some free tokens for the slot machines in Vegas???)

     It's late, and I'm starting to babble on.  Global warming is a
superposition
of many physical, chemical, etc. phenomena.  I figured under the G.W. Bush
administration the spent fuel trucks would be rolling towards Yucca
Mountain already.  Guess the folks at EPA have their heels dug in pretty
deep.

     Have a good weekend.  Best wishes to the people in New Orleans and
vicinity.  If and/or when the big earthquake comes in California, Seattle,
Alaska,
Missouri (New Madrid), it is likely there will be little warning of the
impending earthquake.  The weather satellites the USA operates did a
wonderful job giving us hurricane warnings (position, time, strength, etc.):
the
people responsible for such weather satellites etc. should receive many
congratulations for their continuing hard work and efforts.

      And thanks to the Netherlanders for continuing to host RADSAFE.
Radsafe can be so much.  Watch it grow...

     Regards,         Joseph R. (Joe) Preisig, Ph.D.