[ RadSafe ] Errors expose patients to radiation

Gary Isenhower garyi at trinityphysics.com
Mon Sep 26 18:05:03 CDT 2005

I haven't been following this thread or anything else on Radsafe for a
while, but I skim thru the posts from time to time, so I hope I'm not
missing a key point and inserting my foot in my mouth.

As John correctly stated, diagnostic procedures almost never approach 1
Sv.   On the other hand, fluoroscopic interventional procedures
sometimes produce skin doses higher than 1 Gray.  Its not "routine" but
its not rare either.  It depends on the complexity of the interventional
case, the equipment, and the experience of the fluoro operator.

If you will pardon my provencial units:
3 R/min typical fluoro entrance exposure
40 minute fluoro case
=  120 R entrance exposure
or about 1.1 Gray

The FDA website used to have some really scary pictures of patient skin
burns.  They may still be there.  Just looking at the pictures should
convince you that the skin doses were significantly higher than 1 Gray,
perhaps in the 4 to 8 Gray range.

-Gary Isenhower