[ RadSafe ] FW: spam: FW: 'Exit' signs boost landfill radiationlevels

Orthen, Rick rorthen at cecinc.com
Fri Apr 7 13:38:54 CDT 2006

Steven,

1.  Tritium gas oxidizes rapidly in air to form tritiated water vapor.
I am curious as to what oxidized fraction the GTLS manufacturers assume
in their "release box" scenario as we all know that T2/HT dosimetry is
much less significant than HTO.

2.  Landfills produce copious volumes of water ("leachate") despite the
disposal cells being designed for isolation from groundwater and surface
water intrusion.  The source of leachate is largely the waste material
itself and leachate collection systems are a common design feature of
most landfills.  Some landfill operators continuously recycle leachate
through their disposal cells.

3.  Sampling or analysis error is more wishful thinking than probable.
I can't think of one reasonable scenario where a sample could be
accidentally contaminated to 100K pCi/L.

4.  Comparisons to regulatory standards (in this case, the EPA MCL for
drinking water) is a common, caveated, and valid practice to sort
information into perspective.  Members of the public demand it.

Rick Orthen
CEC Inc.