[ RadSafe ] Re: 'Exit' signs boost landfill radiation levels vs. registration vs. HFBR

Stewart Farber farbersa at optonline.net
Fri Apr 7 15:44:05 CDT 2006

Hi Susan,
How could one not RANT when things are so bizarre on all matters related to [nuclear facility] radioactivity issues.

I am always reminded of the remark by Abraham Lincoln in the first Lincoln-Douglas debate in August 1858:

"In this and like communities, public sentiment is everything. With public sentiment, nothing can fail; without it nothing can succeed. Consequently, he who moulds public sentiment goes deeper than he who enacts statutes or pronounces decisions. He makes statutes and decisions possible or impossible to be executed."

Nuclear projects and facilities in the US have simply proven unable to act in their own interests related to impacting public sentiment. Consequently they have failed, projects have been cancelled, and essential research curtailed.

The nuclear power industry [and other nuclear endeavors] have repeatedly shot themselves in the foot with ill-conceived and executed "advertising" campaigns that are largely embarrasing and ineffectual. It really is a tragedy that has cost this nation trillions of dollars due to up-front cost of cancelled plants and fuel savings over the life of cancelled power plants, affected national security by promoting energy dependence on oil and gas supply from unstable and unreliable regions, and  increased environmental impacts.

What a mess.

Stewart Farber