[ RadSafe ] History of DU

John Jacobus crispy_bird at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 9 15:10:01 CDT 2006

Steven,
Thanks for the link.  I hope that some on this list
note:

" . . . The following is a summary of JTCG/ME’s
findings:

"The report stated that the pharmacological and
toxicological investigation of uranium compounds had
resulted in the most thorough and extensive study ever
undertaken for this class of weapon. The investigation
concluded that uranium was less toxic to humans than
originally assessed, and that the toxicity of uranium
was due primarily to its chemical rather than
radiological properties. It also concluded that
uranium did not appear to be any more toxic than lead
or other heavy metals. Fragment kinetic energy effects
are more significant than any long-term toxicity
considerations. The report concluded that the
biomedical and toxicological hazards of the use of DU
were practically negligible. "

Amazing how these findings always come out.

--- Steven Dapra <sjd at swcp.com> wrote:

> Apr. 8
>
> To all:
>
> 	A few days ago someone asked a question pertaining
> to the history of
> depleted uranium.
>
> 	This link may be helpful:
> <http://www.gulflink.osd.mil/du/du_tabe.htm#TAB
> E - Development of DU Munitions>
>
> Steven Dapra
> sjd at swcp.com

"We fear things in proportion to our ignorance of them."
Titus Livius
-- John
John Jacobus, MS
Certified Health Physicist