[ RadSafe ] RE: Thermal neutron counting

Robert J. Gunter rjgunter at chpconsultants.com
Tue Apr 11 12:27:18 CDT 2006

Don,

LiF is very good at this.  TLD-700 and TLD-600 chips could be used to
measure background and actual Nth counts at the same time, in the same place
(as TLD-700 is "insensitive" to thermal neutrons).  You would probably want
to quantify the TLD-700 insensitivity anyway.  You could also do this with
TLD-100 dosimeters which are sensitive to thermal neutrons as they contain
natural abundance Li-6 and are less sensitive to thermal neutrons.

Another tactic would be to use a radiator, where you put LiF or boron onto a
plastic material like CR-39 and measure the pits created by dissolution of
Li-6 and fragments creating pits on CR-39 (which would then be developed).

Another method may be to look at activation of metals.  I guess it depends
on the field you are looking at and how low a dose you need to measure.  One
problem with activation is that you have to assume the fluence is constant
and do a production rate and decay rate to find where you are in achieving
equilibrium.

Good luck,

Rob

Robert J. Gunter, CHP