[ RadSafe ] RE: BENEFITS OF NUCLEAR POWER vs. [UnplugSalem] Fw: Chernobyl 20 year later

Stewart Farber farbersa at optonline.net
Tue Apr 11 12:56:13 CDT 2006

Hi all,
As would be expected, the letter posted by Norm Cohen is just so much
anti-nuclear power nonsense and snippets of [mis]information taken out of
context with no sense of proportion or significance.

The reality of nuclear power in the US is that approximately 100 nuclear
plants in operation have avoided the operation of  about 100 coal plants of
1,000 MW[e] generation each over the past 20 years.  Studies of health
impacts of a single large 1,000 MW[e] coal fired station indicate that each
unit is responsible for approximately 100 premature deaths per year due to
genralized air pollution and its aggravation of emphysema, bronchitis, and
other health detriments due to fine particulates, sulfur dioxide, oxides of
nitrogen, air toxic emissions like mercury, and more.

So 100 coal fired units [not operating in total due to US nuclear capacity
being in operation] would have caused about 10,000 extra deaths per year
[100 coal fired units  x 100 premature deaths/unit] in the general public.
Over the 20 years since Chernobyl, US nuclear generating capacity has
avoided --i.e.: SAVED approximately 200,000 people  [10,000/year x 20 years]
in the US from dying prematurely from air pollution from coal fired plants
not operating.  Nuclear power a Faustian bargain? Hardly. It is our
society's best option for bulk power generation with minimal environmental
impact while avoiding the MUCH larger health and safety impacts of alternate
forms of generation. And all the talk about conservation is a diversionary
tactic in muddying the debate, since whatever electricity this nation uses
has to come from SOMEWHERE. Conservation does not keep the lights on or our
computers running -- it just minimizes whatever power we generate [or keeps
down the demand for new units] and the impacts which derive from the
generating capacity in operation.

Unfortunately, these benefits of nuclear generation are ignored by the
anti-nuclear propagandists, who would rather present distortions from the
trivial environmental and public health impacts of nuclear generation in the
US, and exaggerate to the point of outright lies the impacts of the Chernoby
accident.

Of course, the anti-activists are completely guilty of avoiding any
recognition of the environmental and climatic benefits of nuclear generation
when putting all the facts on the table about alternate fuel cycles, or the
impacts of not having enough energy to run a society and what impact energy
supply shortfalls have on strategic issues [like going to war to ensure oil
supply for ourselves or our allies]. Throughout history, nations have gone
to war for far less than what energy means to their survival and strategic
interests.

Small sidebar: In doing a rigorous assessment of the coal vs. uranium fuel
cycle back in 1978 for a licensing hearing, I recall that for every coal
miner killed in mining accidents in the US, two members of the public were
killed at rail crossing accidents due to being hit by coal transport trains.
So those who claim coal mining only affects the miners who assume the risk
voluntarily, many more members of the public die each year than miners due
to rail crossing accidents based on the approximately 1,000  million tons of
coal mined and shipped each year now.  Since mechanization of production
since 1978 has reduced the number of miners needed to mine a given amount of
coal, and mine safety has improved somewhat, I would presume that the ratio
of deaths in rail crossing accidents among the public vs. coal miner deaths
per year is much greater than 2 to 1 today.

Stewart Farber, MS Public Health
Air Pollution Control [UMass '73]
203 367-0791 [office]