[ RadSafe ] Tritium a carcinogen?

John R Johnson idias at interchange.ubc.ca
Sat Apr 15 12:24:20 CDT 2006

Steven et al

I don't know about humans but tritium causes cancer in rats. See the paper

OCCURRENCE OF MAMMARY TUMORS IN RATS BY TRITIUM BETA-RAYS AND BY 200 Kvp
X-RAYS
N.J. Gragtmans, D.K. Myers, J. R. Johnson, A.R. Jones, and L.D. Johnson;
AECL-8425, Radiation Research 99 (1984) 636-650.

That study was done so we could apply the results to humans. The assumption
being that rats are like humans in that regard.

John
 _________________
John R Johnson, Ph.D.
*****