[ RadSafe ] Tritium a carcinogen?

Steven Dapra sjd at swcp.com
Sat Apr 15 17:00:47 CDT 2006

April 15

         Thank you, John.

         I did an Alta Vista search for "tritium" "carcinogen" and got a
pile of answers, about 99 percent of them from anti-nuclear sources.

         The anti-nukers use the following pejoratives to describe
tritium's alleged carcinogenic abilities:  dangerous, now-recognized as a,
known, potential, considered to be, and probable.  It would seem that the
anti-nukers can't decide what to think about this stuff.

         According to a question and answer section, the EPA (at
http://www.epa.gov/radiation/radionuclides/tritium.htm) says of tritium,
"As with all ionizing radiation, exposure to tritium increases the risk of
developing cancer. However, tritium is one of the least dangerous
radionuclides because it emits very weak radiation and leaves the body
relatively quickly."

         Of course this 'increase of risk' is based on LNT.  (Let's not get
a thread going on LNT, *please*.)

         Rats are like humans.  Hmmmmmm . . .   Haven't establishment
scientists even began to express some skepticism about extrapolating from
animal studies to humans?

Steven Dapra
sjd at swcp.com