[ RadSafe ] transportation regulation

Jose Julio Rozental joseroze at netvision.net.il
Mon Apr 17 07:38:31 CDT 2006

Today IAEA has introduced the expression  environment, besides people:

IAEA Safety Standards for protecting people and the environment in the 2005 Edition                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           REGULATIONS FOR THE SAFE TRANSPORT OF RADIOACTIVE MATERIAL 2005 Edition                                                                                                                                                                                IAEA Safety Standards Series No. TS-R-1

Those interested can download the 2005 Edition at the at IAEA site:                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                  http://www-pub.iaea.org/MTCD/publications/PDF/Pub1225_web.pdf

There is no citation on equipment and radiation instruments, in this document as well as in ST-1 (1996).   What is required is

302. A Radiation Protection Programme shall be established for the transport  of radioactive material. The nature and extent of the measures to be employed in the programme shall be related to the magnitude and likelihood of radiation exposures. The programme shall incorporate the requirements of paras 301, 303_305 and 311. Programme documents shall be available, on request, for  inspection by the relevant competent authority.

Specifically on radiation level,  according with packaging,  look at the following paragraphs

paragraph 513,   516,  517 (a, b),  521, Table V (a),  527,  531,  532,  533 (a, b, c),  Table 7,  563 (a,b,c,d), 567 (b),  573,  575, 579,  605 (a),  622 (b),  624 (c),  625 (c),  627 (c - ii),  628 (c - ii), 646 (b),  657 (b - ii),  669

Also de paragraphs on contamination (241, 508) and decontamination levels (513)

IAEA has a ppt on the Safe transport of radioactive material - Those interested please send me an e-mail

Jose Julio Rozental
joseroze at netvision.net.il
Israel