[ RadSafe ] In utero dose

North, David DNorth at Lifespan.org
Tue Apr 18 10:53:04 CDT 2006

In the hypothetical case you describe, the principal risk which I am sure
the surgeon and any other physician caring for the patient would consider is
the risk of death or lasting injury to her and her unborn. Any risk from the
radiographs, or even CT scans, is insignificant by comparison. I work in a
hospital whose emergency unit is a Level I Trauma Center, and it is very
busy (fourth or fifth busiest in the USA, I believe). They see over 100,000
patients per year (more than 22,000 trauma cases), and the two dedicated CT
scanners each average an exam every 20 minutes, 24 hours a day, seven days a
week. Basically in that setting, the guideline for taking x-rays or doing a
CT scan is that if the exam is needed for the diagnosis or treatment course
of the pregnant patient, she gets it. I don't think I have ever been
consulted beforehand, and I don't very often get questions afterward. Any
exam involving ionizing radiation and a pregnant patient is reported to me
as standard procedure so that I can make an estimate of the dose to the
embryo/fetus, but I have never been asked before an exam whether or not I
think it should be done. I am not a physician, so I can not assess the
medical risks or benefits from omitting it or performing it.

Generally, we begin to get a little concerned if the total radiation dose
approaches ten rads. I have only seen that happen once, and the lady didn't
even know she was pregnant at the time. She had about three small bowel
exams with fluoroscopy in the period of a couple weeks for an intestinal
obstruction. That was over six years ago, and I have heard nothing about her
case since then. If the dose had been near twenty rads, we probably would
have proceeded to genetic counseling as the next step.

As far as "routine" x-rays are concerned, I think the physician's judgement
is that if the pregnant patient really needs the exam, then it is done. I
get lots of reports from "routine" chest x-rays, back and neck exams,
extremity films, etc. The radiation doses are very low, especially if the
abdomen is not directly exposed. Even a CT of the abdomen/pelvis gives only
about 1.5 rads or so.

David L. North, Sc.M., DABR
Associate Physicist
Medical Physics