[ RadSafe ] Re: Harm vs Benefit in pelvimetry at delivery

Keith Welch welch at jlab.org
Tue Apr 18 16:08:33 CDT 2006

Howard,

I agree.  I am asking these questions because I'm engaged in a
discussion with some folks outside the medical and HP professions and
I'm having a hard time communicating to them that "common practice" is
mostly applicable to "common" situations, and may not at all be
appropriate in individual cases that have individual sets of
circumstances.  Overall, it seems to me that in the absence of a staff
expert, physicians may tend to attempt to apply "standard" protections
in extremely non-standard cases.  My gut feel is that to the extent that
this happens, risk communication is very poor and actual radiation risk
may be overstated in many cases (and becomes an extremely murky mess
when weighing that risk against others).  I get the feeling most
physicians are not nearly as knowledgable in this as they perhaps should
be (but I'd be happy if someone would correct me on this and help ease
my concern).

I'm not arguing for more rules, just more information in the hands of
those who need it.

K. Welch