[ RadSafe ] In utero dose

Jose Julio Rozental joseroze at netvision.net.il
Wed Apr 19 05:17:18 CDT 2006

COMMENT:

1) "For diagnostic and therapeutic medical radiation exposures, the
key would be optimization"

No - The keys words would be justification and optimization
IAEA BSS page 45 -

JUSTIFICATION OF MEDICAL EXPOSURES

II.4. Medical exposures should be justified by weighing the diagnostic or
therapeutic benefits
they produce against the radiation detriment they might cause, taking into
account the benefits
and risks of available alternative techniques that do not involve medical
exposure.

11.5. In justifying each type of diagnostic examination by radiography,
fluoroscopy or nuclear medicine, relevant guidelines will be taken into
account, such
as those established by the WHO (a,b)

a)  WORLD HEALTH ORGANIZATION, A Rational Approach to Radiodiagnostic
Investigations,
Technical Report Series No. 689, WHO, Geneva (1983).  WORLD HEALTH
ORGANIZATION,
 Effective Choices for Diagnostic Imaging in Clinical Practices, Technical
Report Series No. 795, WHO, Geneva (1990).

b)   WORLD HEALTH ORGANIZATION, Effective Choices for Diagnostic Imaging in
Clinical Practices,
Technical Report Series No. 795, WHO, Geneva (1990).

2) About Limit (IAEA BSS page 91)

II-1. The dose limits specified in Schedule II apply to exposures
attributable to practices,
with the exceptions of medical exposures and of exposures from natural
sources that
 cannot reasonably be regarded as being under the responsibility of any
principal party of the Standards.

Dose limitation for comforters and visitors of patients (page 93)
II-9. The dose limits set out in this part shall not apply to comforters of
patients, i.e.,
to individuals knowingly exposed while voluntarily helping (other than in
their employment
or occupation) in the care, support and comfort of patients undergoing
medical diagnosis
 or treatment, or to visitors of such patients. However, the dose of any
such comforter or visitor
of patients shall be constrained so that it is unlikely that his or her dose
will exceed 5 mSv during
the period of a patient's diagnostic examination or treatment. The dose to
children visiting patients
 who have ingested radioactive materials should be similarly constrained to
less than 1 mSv.

3) "(I believe there is an ICRP publication on optimization)"
There is a draft report that those interest can download at
 http://www.icrp.org/docs/Optimisation_web_cons_draft_42_105_05.pdf

Jose Julio Rozental
joseroze at netvision.net.il
Israel