[ RadSafe ] In utero dose

Flanigan, Floyd Floyd.Flanigan at nmcco.com
Wed Apr 19 15:11:54 CDT 2006

I beg to differ. ALARA is now a relatively universal concept used by
industry. It is applied to all forms of risk whether radiological or
not. Safety professionals and PRA engineers use it on a regular basis as
well as OSHA in a manner. Any time risk can be reduced without causing a
detriment it should be done. In the case of emergency x-ray, of course
it is necessary to take the x-ray in order to provide proper, possibly
life-saving treatment. That should be a "no-brainer". A good analogy
would be that a man has a heart attack while crossing a busy street.
Should you move him or perform CPR in the middle of traffic? The answer,
of course, depends on the severity of the attack and the logistics
involved in controlling traffic safely as well as other factors such as
time of day/traffic flow, distance to nearest hospital, etc. etc. etc.
Each case will have differing variables which will make the decision
making process unique. It seems as though we are trying to paint this
one in black and white and in the process are creating dissention.
Conservative decision making takes into account all of these things and
should be used by all in positions of responsibility. Right and wrong
are not really applicable in many instances.

Floyd W. Flanigan B.S.Nuc.H.P.