AW: [ RadSafe ] FW: [UnplugSalem] Fw: Chernobyl 20 year later

Rainer.Facius at dlr.de Rainer.Facius at dlr.de
Thu Apr 20 05:06:32 CDT 2006

"If I had the time I would like to estimate the collective dose from Air Travel ..."

Julian (and Franz):

Bouville and Lowder (1988) (probably among others) did that exercise for the traveller population of the early 1980s. They drew on the data from ICAO (1985) which gave the number of passenger-kilometres flown in 1984 as 1.5*10^12. With an assumed average cruising speed of 600 km/h that translates into 2.5*10^9 passenger-hours. They then assume an average flight altitude of 8 km for which they adopt an average dose rate of 1.35 micro-Sv/h. This yields some 3400 person-Sv per year for that epoch.

Whereas the average cruising speed today is likely to be higher - resulting in less passenger hours per passenger-kilometres - the altitude and hence the dose rate is likely to be higher today. At FL 350 (35000 feet) the dose rate varies between about 2 and 4 micro-Sv/h from equatorial to polar plateau regions (>60 degree). According to my 'feelings' regarding the distribution of passenger-kilometres with latitude, an average dose rate of (rather more than) 3 micro-Sv/h appears more realistic.

In the European Community the annual increase in passenger-kilometres between 1995 and 2003 was 4.9%. Taking this number as a world-wide representative value (probably underestimating worldwide growth), today after 22 years we would have 4.3*10^12 passenger-kilometres per year. With 800 instead of 600 km/h this would translate into 5.3*10^9 passenger-hours which translates into 16000 person-Sv per year

I refrain from applying the - in this context definitely utterly asinine - LNT postulate to speculate about cancer deaths from this exposures.

Let us hear your results if this stimulates you to improve upon my rule of thumb guesstimate.

Kind regards, Rainer

Human population exposure to cosmic radiation.
Radiation Protection Dosimetry 24#1/4(1988)293-299

International Civil Aviation Organization.
Digest of Statistics - Traffic, Commercial Air Carriers, 1980-1984
(1985)

Dr. Rainer Facius
German Aerospace Center
Institute of Aerospace Medicine