[ RadSafe ] Re:Reasonable risk?

Sandy Perle sandyfl at earthlink.net
Fri Apr 21 11:59:31 CDT 2006

On 21 Apr 2006 at 9:48, John Jacobus wrote:

> I take a broader definition of ALARA and do not have
> the perspective you have with commerial nuclear power.
>  Afterall, I would at a biomedical research facility,
> have worked with the Navy Nuclear Propulsion Program,
> and medical facilities.

I will be in two of the facilities next week, and understand their
differecne as compared to the NPPs I've been involved with.

> The underlying goal in these and many industries is
> worker protection.  The difference is that in the
> nuclear industries is that you can measure "risk" in
> mrem.  Therefore, you can quantify what you do.  In
> medicine, we can also measure risk from radiation
> exposure to the patient and staff.  However, the
> measured output is not kW/hr, but medical treatment.
> We certainly spend on radiation protection equipment,
> e.g., leaded aprons, survey meters, etc.  But we also
> spend on disposable gowns, gloves, pathological
> wastes, etc.

I agree. My only point was if ALARA is mis-used, which I do believe,
then the cost savings can be applied to where actually needed, and
the result is better worker protection.

> In hospitals, you have to deal with operating costs and profits.

In that sense, we were the same. The need to reduce operating and
maintenance costs was essential in order to realize the maximum
profit allowed by the rate regulatory agencies.

-------------------------------------
Sandy Perle
Senior Vice President, Technical Operations
Global Dosimetry Solutions, Inc.
2652 McGaw Avenue
Irvine, CA 92614

Tel: (949) 296-2306 / (888) 437-1714  Extension 2306
Fax:(949) 296-1144

E-Mail: sperle at dosimetry.com
E-Mail: sandyfl at earthlink.net

Global Dosimetry Website: http://www.dosimetry.com/