[ RadSafe ] On-Line Posting to Senator Rosa Franklin, Washington State Se...

BLHamrick at aol.com BLHamrick at aol.com
Sat Apr 22 21:18:45 CDT 2006

I think the excerpt below actually gets to the crux of the problem.   The
definition of "harm" is critical to communicating about the issue of DU or
radiation, in general.  The definition below is not workable from a  scientific
standpoint, because everything does "harm" by this definition  - exposure to
sunlight, a glass of wine, a drink of water, a walk in the  park.

If "harm" is defined, as below, as any change however slight to the  human
anatomy, then we are experiencing "harm" from the day we are born
(umm...technically from the moment of conception...er...even being conceived  seems to fall
within this definition).

All kidding aside, and trying not to go reductio ad absudum on you, for the
purposes of evaluating risk, there does need to be some higher threshold for
"harm" than "any change however slight to the human anatomy," since changes in
 one's body is a certainty, and it leads to death (which many would define as
the  ultimate harm) 100% of the time, radiation or not.

With that in mind, we can turn to the "harm" that health (radiation)
physicists have traditionally looked at:  1) non-stochastic "harm" (i.e.,  generally,
physical injury from acute exposure, such as skin-reddening, hair  loss,
blistering, tissue necrosis, acute radiation syndrome, death), and 2)  stochastic
"harm" (i.e., on a statistical basis, radiation exposure is  associated with
some increased risk of cancer induction).

The non-stochastic risks are very well controlled, and acute radiation
injuries are extermely rare (compared to just about anything from falling  down the
stairs, to being struck by lightning - just FYI lightning kills  about 100
people per year in the U.S. and injures about 500 more).

The stochastic "harm" is a statistical (and theoretical, in low dose
regions) "harm."  The studies of survivors of the U.S. use of nuclear  weapons in
Hiroshima and Nagasaki provide the most significant amount of data  used to
estimate increased risk of cancer from exposure to radiation.   There is a clearly
established increased risk of cancer associated with the high  (acute - i.e.,
in a very short timeframe) doses received by persons present at  the time of
our attack.

To put this in some perspective, the National Institutes of Health estimate
that approximately 49% of all men and 37% of all women in the U.S. will
experience some type of cancer in their lifetime, and 20-25% of us will die from
cancer.  The estimated increased risk of cancer incidence (not  death) from 1
rem of exposure is about 1.1E-3 per rem, or another 0.1% per  rem (and, again
this is theoretical in the low dose/low dose-rate region).   Theoretically
(and, I do mean totally theoretically), natural background  radiation could,
according to this formulation, contribute to 2% of the cancers  we all experience,
so I think, at a minimum, to discuss "harm" from DU, we need  to get into a
realm that would be recognizable above these background  considerations.  Not to
mention, the other known, probable, and possible  carcinogens in our
environment, or the genetic component of  carcinogenesis.

Just my thoughts on the discussion.

Barbara L. Hamrick, CHP

In a message dated 4/22/2006 9:22:14 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,