[ RadSafe ] Re:Reasonable risk?

John Jacobus crispy_bird at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 25 16:24:05 CDT 2006

Jerry,
Yes, 1 mSv/yr (100 mrem/yr).

For occupational workers, I would also say that 5
mSv/yr (500 mrem/yr) as there is no requirement for
monitoring, so therefore the risks must be minimal.
For monitored doses between 500 and mSv (5,000 and 500
mrem) one would monitor exposure results to determine
if any changes in personnel exposures have changed.
However, changes in shielding or work practices would
have to be based on reasonable costs.

If anyone besides Jerry Cohen, who does not work in
the field of health physics, has any comments, I would
be interested in their perspectives.

e-mail:  crispy_bird at yahoo.com