[ RadSafe ] Re: ALARA kills: 17 papers, [etc.]

Steven Dapra sjd at swcp.com
Wed Apr 26 20:36:30 CDT 2006

April 26

         John Jacobus wrote:

>Obviously, our policies to keep exposures low is
>responsible for our better health, incresed life
>expectancy and lower cancer rate.  How can you argue
>with those facts?  If you think radiation is so
>important what are you doing to increase the radiation
>exposure of you and your family?

         Better health and increased life expectancy can be attributed to
many circumstances, for example better diets overall, and better medical
care (including more and better cancer screening) that is available to more
people.  No single factor, including ALARA, can be credited with these
salutary developments.  Better sanitation and public health measures, and
widespread vaccination have led to the virtual eradication of infectious
diseases that killed millions in the days of no vaccinations, no
antibiotics, and unclean and un-chlorinated water.  When was the last time
you heard of someone in the United States dying of typhoid fever, cholera,
or smallpox?  Better pre-natal and post-natal care have led to increased
life expectancy.  Instead of dying shortly after being born, children live
to be 80 or 90.

         Begging your pardon, John, but I must question your claim of lower
cancer rates.  The overall age-adjusted cancer morbidity and mortality
rates have remained virtually flat since approximately 1950.  There are
three significant exceptions to this.  First, lung cancer, and there is no
need to explain that increase.  Second, female breast cancer.  This cancer
appears to be best correlated with high-fat diets.  Third is prostate
cancer.  The increase in morbidity for this cancer can be attributed to the
PSA test, a very sensitive and reliable test for prostate cancer.  The
actual incidence rate is more than likely the same, and the apparent
incidence rate has increased because of a better test and because of more
screening.  My admittedly non-medical guess is that much of the apparent
increase in cancer can be attributed to the better screening, and to better
diagnostic techniques.

         Any comments about what I am doing to increase my radiation
exposure will be irrelevant and immaterial.  I am only addressing better
health and increased life expectancy, and I am questioning the claim of
lower cancer rates.

Steven Dapra
sjd at swcp.com