[ RadSafe ] Re: ALARA kills: "Bureaucracies exist to perpetuate themselves -"

John Jacobus crispy_bird at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 28 14:17:04 CDT 2006

Doesn't hormesis use a hockey stick model?  Maybe the
problems are based on the models?

Again, the studies the Dr. Cameron used in his
arguments were reviewed by epidemiologist, which is
what he was not.  Maybe I should comment on the flaws
I find in internal medicine studies?  I bet there are
a bunch.

--- howard long <hflong at pacbell.net> wrote:

> Regulator Jacobus,
>   "Bureaucracies exist to perpetuate themselves -"
>   (WSJ Ed  4/27/06).
>
>   Cameron's findings, reviewed by competent
> scientists, including Pollycove in
>   The Biology and Epidemiology of Radiation Hormesis
> (and myself), fit Luan, B Cohen and hundreds of
> other studies available in Muckerheide's excellent
> compendium.
>
>   Cameron showed, indeed, that the self-serving,
> self-perpetuating NSWS bureaucrats had fraudulently
> used a one-tail statistical test which could only
> show if they were more needed, not less needed, i.e.
> which could only show harm and not show benefit.
>
>   This is like Mann using a statistical method that
> aggravated a "Climate of Fear" about global warming,
> by turning random data into the discredited, bogus
> "hockey stick".
>
>   Who gives epidemiology a bad name?
>
>   Howard Long MD MPH
>
> John Jacobus <crispy_bird at yahoo.com> wrote:
>   Dr. Long,
> You obviously cannot understand what the criticisms
> are concerning the assertions of Dr. Cameron's
> opinions. I have asked you to read certain articles,
> but it is clear that you cannot be bothered. You
> would rather parrot the same postings over and over.
>
> Repetition does not make a statement correct. Your
> lack of even basic epidemiological principles make
> it
> clear why you did not become one.
>
> --- howard long wrote:
>
> > Facts, not "picked" opinions, are what careful
> > reviewers of Dr Cameron's studies have found to
> > substantiate 3 years greater longevity with 0.5
> rem
> > added to the NSWS background. These reviewers
> > include Myron Pollycove, MD PhD of the Nuclear
> > Regulatory Commision (my classmate at UCSF) and
> > other highly competent "peer review"
> > .
> > Regulator control of journals to protect your jobs
> > are the real villians using selection
> > (epidemiologic sin!)
> >
> > Refrigeration for varied diet, cleaner air, better
> > medical care and other factors seem greater than
> > ALARA for better longevity and cancer decrease.
> >
> > Howard Long
> >
> > John Jacobus wrote:
> > Dr. Long,
> > I would like some facts, not the opinions of Dr.
> > Cameron. He picked a few studies that were
> favorable
> > to his position and ignored others. Nothing new
> > here.
> >
> > Obviously, our policies to keep exposures low is
> > responsible for our better health, incresed life
> > expectancy and lower cancer rate. How can you
> argue
> > with those facts? If you think radiation is so
> > important what are you doing to increase the
> > radiation
> > exposure of you and your family?
> >
> > --- howard long wrote:
> >
> > > Yes, John J,
> > > ALARA kills. At least it deprives of an
> [...]

"People will be shocked to see how safe it is to live in New York City."
ANDREW KARMEN, a sociology professor at John Jay College of Criminal Justice, on murder trends in the city.

-- John
John Jacobus, MS
Certified Health Physicist
e-mail:  crispy_bird at yahoo.com