[ RadSafe ] Radiation Exposure: Does it Always Cause Cancer?

John Jacobus crispy_bird at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 7 11:38:00 CDT 2006

Roy,
I am not sure what your question is, if that is what
you mean to say in the subject line.  From what I
read, a defect in BRIT1 may not surpress, or will
result is a weakened surpression of cancers, as noted
in the underexpression in human ovarian, breast and
prostate cancer cell lines.

They used ionizing radiation to enhance aberrations of
the DNA.  Even without ionizing radiation, there was
aberration of the DNA.  Obviously, the ionizing
radiaton enhanced the effect, which I don't think is
surprising.

I doubt that this is the "key" factor in cancer
initiation.  There are probably many genes that have
to function properly along the ATM and ATR pathways.

http://www.ivanhoe.com/channels/p_printStory.cfm?storyid=14249

> [...]
>
> No. Many did, and suffered terribly, but the fact
> that a large number of the
> survivors have not yet developed cancer is just one
> part of the mystery
> around radiation exposure and cancer.
>
> "I think there is no doubt that radiation is, in
> fact, carcinogenic," said
> Herman Suit, M.D., Ph.D., Sc.D., a radiation
> oncologist from Harvard
> University, today at the 48th Annual Meeting of The
> American Association of
> Physicists in Medicine in Orlando, Florida.
>
> Scientists following 86,611 survivors of the 1945
> atomic bomb blasts found
> only 4.7 percent of the 10,127 cancer deaths could
> be clearly attributed to
> radiation exposure, said Dr. Suit. These deaths
> didn't happen right away --
> 35 percent of the radiation cancer deaths occurred
> between 42 years and 52
> years after the explosions.
>
> "These cancer deaths keep occurring," said Dr. Suit.
> This reinforces the
> need to very carefully study how cancer patients
> today are affected by the
> radiation used to treat their cancers, especially in
> light of higher
> survival rates and life expectancies of these
> patients.
>
> One of the most perplexing aspects of this area of
> study is how big a role
> genetics seem to play. Dr. Suit explained many
> studies show that cancer
> occurrence increases with increased cancer exposure.
> In several mouse
> studies, however, the rate at which the cancer risk
> increased varied widely
> between different genetic strains of mice. Also,
> certain types of cancer
> seem to be more likely to be caused by radiation
> exposure than others. He
> reported that data from 14 studies show an increased
> risk for cancers of the
> stomach and pancreas while there was no evident
> increased risk of bladder or
> rectal cancer.
>
> "It appears we have made some inroads, but not
> enough," said Dr. Suit. What
> scientists need to know now is the genetic
> characteristics of specific
> patients and how those genes react when exposed to
> radiation.
>
> This article was reported by Ivanhoe.com, who offers
> Medical Alerts by
> e-mail every day of the week. To subscribe, go to:
> http://www.ivanhoe.com/newsalert/.
>
> SOURCE: Vivian Richardson at the 48th Annual Meeting
> of The American
> Association of Physicists in Medicine in Orlando,
> Fla., July 30-August 3,
> 2006
>

> Roy Herren

>  Next-gen email? Have it all with the  all-new
> Yahoo! Mail Beta.
> You are currently subscribed to the RadSafe mailing
> list
>
> Before posting a message to RadSafe be sure to have
> read and understood the RadSafe rules. These can be
=== message truncated ===

+++++++++++++++++++
>From an article about physicians doing clinical studies:

"It was just before an early morning meeting, and I was really trying to get to the bagels, but I couldn't help overhearing a conversation between one of my statistical colleagues and a surgeon.

Statistician: "Oh, so you have already calculated the P value?"

Surgeon: "Yes, I used multinomial logistic regression."

Statistician: "Really? How did you come up with that?"

Surgeon: "Well, I tried each analysis on the SPSS drop-down menus, and that was the one that gave the smallest P value"."

-- John
John Jacobus, MS
Certified Health Physicist
e-mail:  crispy_bird at yahoo.com