[ RadSafe ] RE: ECRR

Michael McCarty mccartmj at michigan.gov
Mon Aug 14 12:27:12 CDT 2006

Here in Michigan we do detect Be-7 in the particulate component of some
of our air samples.  Also EPA did a gamma spec on a hotter than usual
sample that we collected on their equipment colocated with our control
station here at our lab.  They found both terestrial (radon daughters)
and cosmogenic (Be-7) nuclides on the filter.  It must have been warm
enough that the ground thawed and turbulent enough in the upper
atmosphere to bring down some Be-7 to our level.

Mike

Michael J. McCarty
Physicist, MDEQ Radiological Laboratory

Waste and Hazardous Materials Division
Radiological Protection and Medical Waste Section
Environmental Monitoring Unit
815 Terminal Road
Lansing, MI  48906

phone:  517-335-8196
fax:  517-335-9551
e-mail:  mccartmj at michigan.gov

>>> John Jacobus <crispy_bird at yahoo.com> 08/14/06 11:04 AM >>>
Kjell,
With a half-life of 53 days, why could cosmogenic Be-7
not be found in the Great Lakes? Was there an isotopic
breakdown of beryllium in the Great Lakes?

--- "Johansen, Kjell" <Kjell.Johansen at nmcco.com>

When I talked to another