[ RadSafe ] Prison Term For Illegal Shipment

ROGERS, Brent brent.rogers at ansto.gov.au
Mon Aug 14 20:45:53 CDT 2006

Steven Dapra Q:  "Is Ir-192 actually dangerous...?"

A:  Yes.  The industrial radiography texts are replete with accidents involving such sources, resulting in lost digits, limbs and body functions.  Additionally, there is the Pennsylvania medical case where a therapeutic patient died after having had the
source left in her.  Medical sources of Ir-192 are typcially 10% of the activity of their industrial counterparts.

In the RPT text Basic Radiation Protection Technology (Golnick), there is a tragic example in Argentina of a man who put one of these sources in his back pocket.  He lost both legs, and the lower portion of his trunk is horribly disfigured.  In this
instance, I don't think the term "He's lucky to be alive" is apropos.

BTW, I note that the source is "depleted".  However, Ir-192 that is depleted beyond industrial usefulness is still quite dangerous.

And finally, if we're going to have laws, we may as well enforce them, otherwise they're useless.

-Brent Rogers