[ RadSafe ] 20 uCi Radium Check Sources

Syd H. Levine syd.levine at mindspring.com
Fri Aug 18 05:13:55 CDT 2006

I have an opportunity to acquire two 20 microcurie Radium API traceable
calibration sources, but I am concerned about the Radium content.  Can some
of you experts educate me on why a small sealed Radium source is such a big
deal?  I am told there are regulatory concerns, and I am told that disposing
of these puny little 20 microcurie sources could cost many thousands of
dollars.  I am also told that the Radon produced inside the source capsule
could cause leakage; is there any truth to this last concern.

Thanks in advance for any information you may be able to offer.

Syd H. Levine
AnaLog Services, Inc.
Phone:  (270) 276-5671
Telefax:  (270) 276-5588