[ RadSafe ] RE: 20 uCi Radium Check Sources Madame Curie had observed explosive releases frof radium sourcess

parthasarathy k s ksparth at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Aug 18 20:42:48 CDT 2006

Friends,
As a matter of fact, the contribution from helium in radium sources of a few tens of microcuries will be insignificant. More important contribution comes from hydrogen and oxygen released due ro radiation dissociation of water molecules likely to be present if the radium salt was not dried well before preparing the sealed sources. It was happening during the early years when the salts used were hygroscopic. But that possibility was less later as radium salts were heated well to release all water vapour before sealing it in tubes.

A few years ago, Elezebath Rona a contemporary of Madame Curie wrote (I believe it was in Health Phys) that there were instances in which sealed glass containers containing radiunm exploded while they were being  handled by Madame Curie!

Regards
  K.S.Parthasarathy Ph.D
  (Formerly, Secretary, Atomic Energy Regulatory Board, India)

  Raja Ramanna Fellow
  Strategic Planning Group
  Board of Research in Nuclear Sciences
  Department of Atomic Energy