[ RadSafe ] Buildup factor for compounds

Mccormick, Luke I luke.mccormick at dhs.gov
Thu Aug 24 06:29:50 CDT 2006

You can use the percent chemical makeup and the mu value for each chemical
at the energy you are expecting and that will get you in the ballpark. You
can also determine the density of the materials and use the mu value from a
density curve for the energy you are expecting. I personally do not have a
lot of faith in calculated shielding values. They are usually only order of
magnitude estimations.