[ RadSafe ] References: Radiation induced immune response DETERS spread of cancer

John Jacobus crispy_bird at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 29 13:36:49 CDT 2006

Dr. Long,
Where does it mention cancer in the posting below your
comments?  Did you send the wrong information?  Are
you making a claim that was not indicated by the
authors of the posting?

Also, can you cite a reference where it can be
demonstrated that "radiation blocks 9 ORDERS of
magnitude more mutations than it causes."  That is an
astonding number and should be supported by astonding
proof.  If so, how does one reconcile the fact that
49% of the population will develop a cancer in their
life-time?

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/08/15/health/15meta.html?ei=5070&en=43242bd64ec6e9b0&ex=1156651200&pagewanted=all

> > Scientists Begin to Grasp the Stealthy Spread of
> > Cancer
> >
> > By LAURIE TARKAN
> > Published: August 15, 2006
> >
> > . . .
> > Researchers are looking at a number of events that
> > occur in the microenvironment that give a cancer
> > cell
> > a leg up as soon as it arrives. These changes
> > involve
> > both normal cells that reside in that tissue and
> the
> > body’s roaming immune cells.
> >
> > “The tumor cells co-opt these cells to act in a
> way
> > that’s conducive for the growth of the
> metastasis,”

=== message truncated ===

+++++++++++++++++++
>From an article about physicians doing clinical studies:

"It was just before an early morning meeting, and I was really trying to get to the bagels, but I couldn't help overhearing a conversation between one of my statistical colleagues and a surgeon.

Statistician: "Oh, so you have already calculated the P value?"

Surgeon: "Yes, I used multinomial logistic regression."

Statistician: "Really? How did you come up with that?"

Surgeon: "Well, I tried each analysis on the SPSS drop-down menus, and that was the one that gave the smallest P value"."

-- John
John Jacobus, MS
Certified Health Physicist
e-mail:  crispy_bird at yahoo.com