[ RadSafe ] Buildup factor for compounds

Kai Kaletsch eic at shaw.ca
Wed Aug 30 22:27:32 CDT 2006

Hi John,

My question actually came about by looking at the peculiar results you get
when using MicroShield. For example MicroShield's calculated value for the
buildup factor of lead glass (treated as a compound of lead, oxygen...) is
quite different from the stored values for lead glass. I could not find what
their calculation is actually doing.

So, I am interested in: what is MicroShield doing when it calculates buildup
factors for compounds and is there an accepted method for doing that.