[ RadSafe ] X-Ray Spectrometer Safety considerations

Bob Westerdale Bob.Westerdale at ametek.com
Fri Dec 8 15:33:29 CST 2006

Greetings:
        I'm working on a design spec for an X-Ray Fluorescence
spectrometer we're developing,  and I have a couple of Safety-related (
note requisite RadSafe tie-in!) items that I hope to get some feedback
on.......
        1.      Color of the fail-safe 'X-Ray On'  lamp.    In the US, a
yellow lens with the traditional magenta trefoil has been the accepted
standard for quite a            while.   Years ago,  I did run into some
problems when shipping instruments overseas where a red lens was needed.
Could some of our                       International  folks comment on
this?  colors/labelling/location, etc.

        2.      Electrical circuitry for initiation of X-ray power and
Safety Interlock circuits.   Years ago,  before microprocessors took over
the world,  X-Ray On            functions were basically push-buttons and
latching relays.  These circuits we required to be 'floating',  ie
transformer powered so that a problem                   like a ground
fault ( eg. pinched or abraded wire)  could not inadvertently turn on the
X-Ray power.   I believe the German regs even called for
                redundant circuits,  so that the failure of one circuit (
while unlikely) would not result in the chance of an accident.    These
days,  most digital                     designers ( well, at least the
ones I work with!) scoff at the idea that there could be a code problem or
blown logic gate that might leave the X-ray             status in
question.   However, most of us have had a piece of digital equipment crap
out  ( HW or SW) at very bad time;  the potential damage from           an
accidentally powered analytical X-ray tube is both immediate and long
lasting.

        I'd be quite interested in hearing the community views on these
matters,

        Thanks!

        Bob Westerdale
        RSO,  EDAX Inc.