[ RadSafe ] BBC Article, Nuclear winter...

stewart farber radproject at sbcglobal.net
Tue Dec 12 11:13:05 CST 2006

Hi all,
Interestingly, while the BBC article posted by Joel mentions the phrase
"nuclear winter" was coined by a Prof. Turco, it was cosmologist Carl Sagan
who greatly popularized concern with nuclear winter in the [ early??] 1980s.

Sagan was active in an effort to get the US and USSR [and other nuclear
weapons states] to realize that a nuclear exchange would have a long-term
and far-reaching adverse climate component in addition to the initial
devastation that would result.  He wanted to make the world realize that no
nation could "win" a nuclear war. Sagan was justifiably able to put his
"billions and billions" phrase to use in speaking about the gigatons of
smoke and pollutants which would be lofted into the atmosphere from a
nuclear war.

Stewart Farber
SAFarber at sbcglobal.net