[ RadSafe ] BBC Article, Nuclear winter...

Bill wwebber2004 at comcast.net
Tue Dec 12 17:26:00 CST 2006

Yes.
Chess is the national game  in  Russia. Unlike poker there is no
bluffing in chess, it is all strategy. Once the USSR saw that they could
not win the cold war they conceded the game to the USA.

Like the movies, the cold war was virtual, and who could be a better
choice for fighting this virtual war than a movie actor.
First step, start the game by declaring war. This was done with the
evil  empire speech. Next destroy the conventional armies by installing
missile with neutron bombs in Europe. These missiles could destroy the
USSR army (mainly tanks) without destroying the friendly cities. And
finally destroy the strategic nuclear weapons by building a missile
defense system (SDI). Since we were playing chess in a virtual world,
it was not necessary to actually do any of these actions. It was
sufficient to just have no viable response to them. The military in the
USSR could no longer claim that they were protecting the country and the
government had to concede defeat. Remember that in chess you never
actual capture the king, it is sufficient to just show that there is no
way to escape capture.

This strategy will not work with our new enemies since they are not
playing chess.