[ RadSafe ] Lethal Amount of Po-210 - any gamma?

Kai Kaletsch eic at shaw.ca
Wed Dec 13 10:31:41 CST 2006

It turned out to be radioactive material in cargo and, yes, I tried to do a
(discrete) gamma survey. It was not obviously coming from the cargo area. My
theory is that there were different materials between the source and the
detector that influenced the dose rate and that made it difficult to zero in
on the source location.

Below is part of my response to Jim, describing some of the other things I
tried. (Just in case the original message got stuck in the radsafe servers
and you didn't see it):

...It turned out to be radioactive material in cargo. I was under the
(apparently mistaken) impression that radioactive material was not supposed
to go on passenger planes. Otherwise, I would have asked the pilot right
away.

I considered a bunch of alternative explanations, but was able to eliminate
most of them: I waited until every one else got off the plane, to make sure
the reading was not originating from one of the passengers. I made sure the
reading returned to normal as soon as I got off the plane to eliminate the
possibility of equipment failure ...

Regards,
Kai