[ RadSafe ] query

Lorraine Marceau-Day day at lsu.edu
Wed Dec 13 16:19:38 CST 2006

Franz is partially correct.  Oil seed crops such as soy and rapeseed [i.e. Canola] have been used to make bio-diesel.  The crops are bio-based.  However, since it is a diesel substitute, it cannot be used for "conventional fuel" [i.e. gasoline] - for that, there is bio-ethanol.  The largest producer in the world of bio-ethanol is Brazil, where it is made primarily from molasses via a fermentation process [not unlike the manufacture of rum].

Cutting edge research is trying to make it from bagasse[wood stalks left over from sugar cane], or other grasses, corn stover or even wood from the separation of lignin from the fermentable hemicellulose and cellulose.  Steam explosion has been tried but to little effect, though it does work better for corn than for grasses like sugar cane.  The real problem in using nuclear power to generate the heat, is one of transportation - a problem which persists for corn stover fermentation but not sugar cane, since the entire plant goes to the factory.  Sugar cane factories are already energy balanced, as they burn bagasse in their boilers to generate heat and electricity for their mills.

Regards,

Lorraine

PS - Sugar Cane is our 2nd largest cash crop after Forestry, which follows the petro-chemical industry in Louisiana.  Just thought you might like to know