AW: [ RadSafe ] lethal amount of Po-210

Franz Schönhofer franz.schoenhofer at chello.at
Thu Dec 14 16:41:27 CST 2006

Dear Laszlo,

By chance I have been in London during the days when it became known, that a
person had been poisoned by Po-210. TV showed clearly a chemist, who was
using a beaker, which was stirred - with other words, this was without any
doubt the well known plating of Polonium to a disc of whatever suitable
metal (Ag, Cu,....). Knowing the expertise of our collegues from England
very well I cannot assume that they intended to measure traces of Po-210 by
gamma-spectrometry.

You did not specify, which method you used for your survey on childrens
urine in the 80's. Not really being an expert in dose calculation from
intake I still have a feeling, that the concentrations of Po-210 in urine
are by orders of magnitude to high. Values of up to 3 Bq/l urine are
scaring. Compare that to the recommendation of the European Union on Pb-210
and Po-210 concentrations in drinking water!

Please give me further information - I hope I am wrong.

Best regards,

Franz

Franz Schoenhofer
PhD, MR iR