[ RadSafe ] DU Licensing

Robert Cherry bobcherry at satx.rr.com
Thu Dec 14 21:33:48 CST 2006

Jack,

The DU fired on testing ranges in the U.S. (there are no OCONUS ranges where
DU is test-fired) is held under NRC license. These ranges must undergo
decommissioning just as any licensed facility must. The only ones that I
know of that have or are undergoing decommissioning are at Jefferson Proving
Ground, Indiana (Army) and Eglin AFB, Florida (Air Force).

Army testing was open-air through about 1980 but the Army began using catch
boxes at about that time. The rounds can be retrieved almost intact as long
as they don't strike a hard target and burst into flame.

If you want to know more you can check the military DU licenses that the NRC
has issued on NRC ADAMS or do some Googling. None of this is classified.

Bob C