[ RadSafe ] Pepto-Bismol

Kai Kaletsch eic at shaw.ca
Fri Dec 15 08:50:22 CST 2006

Hi Bernard,

I don't think the statement "...The enrichment process takes U-235 from 0.7%
to about 3.5% so the DU should have 1/5 as much U-235 as natural uranium.
..." follows  logically. In order to balance U-235 quantities, you must
balance percentages of U-235 in the mixture multiplied by quantities of the
mixture.

For example, if you start with 1000 t of natural U and end up producing 1 g
of 3.5% U-235 enriched U, you will not see any significant depletion in the
1000t - 1g of material that are left.

Dan McCarn mentions an interesting mechanism about the U234/U238 ratios in
ground water. I don't think it can be used to explain such a huge increase
in U-234 activity in global average DU. We have close to 100% recovery in
ores leached in a mill. Even in ISL operations, they try for +75% recovery.
I think, if the recovery is low, the explanation is that macroscopic pieces
of ore don't get contacted by the solution. So, you probably leave both U234
and U238 in the ground.

Best Regards
Kai