[ RadSafe ] Gamma measurements in planes

Aad van der Kooij A.vanderKooij at TUDelft.nl
Mon Dec 18 14:11:02 CST 2006

>From the way this discussion is evolving I get the impression that my
cyberspace. But yes, there are still DU counterweights around, mainly in
aging aircraft. I remember vivid discussions about this subject a couple of
years ago, when it would be perfectly legal to fly around in a 747 (with a
couple of hundreds kilograms of DU in the structure) that became a licensing
problem the moment it was retired to the desert wreckers yard. The use was
not limited to the 747 other types are DC-10, L-1010, C-140 and there are
also examples of the use of DU in helicopter rotor counterweights.
I think the US license exemption is still in existence as long as you keep
the DU counterweights in good condition (i.e. no corrosion, other damage and
painted).
It might be for that reason that FAA advisory circular 20-123:
http://www.airweb.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_Guidance_Library/rgAdvisoryCircular
.nsf/0/fed21da1a772d8d9862569af006aadbf!OpenDocument
is still valid.

Further information about the use of DU in aircraft can be found in NUREG
1717 (3.17) !!!!warning this is a large document, some 800 pages!!!:
http://www.nrc.gov/reading-rm/doc-collections/nuregs/staff/sr1717/nureg-1717
.pdf

Regards,
Aad van der Kooij