[ RadSafe ] Airplanes, cosmic rays, DU, tritium and similar absurdities

Ellars, Charles Charles.Ellars at qsa-global.com
Tue Dec 19 08:38:50 CST 2006

Franz et. al.

I raise my hand as saying the word "ballast" instead of "counterweight" and impale myself on the mercy of the court!  ;<)

I think that your point is well taken, but I counter that in an email forum it is often the case that information is left out for brevity's sake and that this may sometimes lead to confusion.  Also, I have enough trouble with English myself as a native speaker, so I can readily sympathize with non-native speakers.  You, however, write greatly. ;<)

I think that most if not all of us have the basics on uranium and all understand that it would be difficult to use a gamma detector to measure the radiations from it - measuring the brehmstrahlung instead if the uranium was close by.  My measurements on my trip in September to the Low Level Waste Forum meeting were admittedly unscientific and I left open the possibility that DU was not even on the plane.  When I said that I didn't know what the energies were to correlate the readings, I was also implying that it was not measuring any radiations other than the gammas it was designed to detect.  I hadn't planned to do a rigorous scientific study of this as I was getting on the plane and was just curious what my handheld would measure.  I believe everyone here understands that charged particles/cosmic rays contribute to dose as a function of altitude even if they didn't explicitly write it in an email.

I was very happy with the responses because I learned new things about aircraft and some of the technologies in use that use radioactive materials.  That is why I belong to this list.

Whether it "tis the season" or not, here's wishing you and all robust health and pleasant musings.

Charlie