[ RadSafe ] Detecting Alphas

Cindy Bloom radbloom at comcast.net
Wed Dec 20 18:32:26 CST 2006

Sid,

Side-window Geiger-Mueller (GM) tubes typically don't detect alphas because
the tube wall is too thick to allow the alpha particle to penetrate, but
pancake GM probes and some end window GM tubes have windows (mylar) thin
enough to let the alpha particles into the detector where they deposit
their energy and are thus detected.

Cindy