[ RadSafe ] Radiation Exposure Flying

Muckerheide, Jim (CDA) Jim.Muckerheide at state.ma.us
Thu Dec 21 16:36:53 CST 2006

Howard and friends,

I don't know about Otto's research plans, but he was one of a group that
met to advise DOE on setting up a "below-background research lab" at
WIPP.  This was estimated to be at a cost of something like $50 million
(construction plus initial operation-5 years? More?). [I have the report
.PDF, and it's on the web.]

I would be interested in knowing where any biology experiments stand.
There are physics experiments going on in the experiment areas now.

Certainly such lab work will confirm that below-background exposures
produce detrimental health effects.  Such work was done by Planel and
his students over many years in France, including a small deep-mine
low-background lab.  The Russians also did such work.

The early AEC did such work but, as with removing K-40 from natural-K
(running K thru the Oak Ridge calutrons, stripping off the K-40 and
K-41), the results were not published.  We know such "denatured-K" was
produced and provided for biology research, but you can't find results
in the literature.

Argonne even got a batch from Oak Ridge ~1984 (for ~$75K), after Don
Luckey went there to do some 'denat-K' experiments after his retirement.
Don got a contaminated batch from Oak Ridge ~1982 that was dated 1962
(recovered from animal experiments at that time?)  See e.g.:
http://radscihealth.org/rsh/dd3/3.2.1.3Luckey86.html [Fig. link broken]
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&lis
t_uids=3097750&dopt=Abstract or, if broken:
http://tinyurl.com/ylm57c

I've quoted Charlie Willis from our Mar '96 ACRS/ACNW transcript where
he says he (paraphrasing) 'saw this hormesis stuff fairly late, in 1958
at the lab' (Oak Ridge) where he 'saw cells with K without K-40. The
cells looked ok but didn't function,' and then, 'the LNT kept them from
being published.'  [I can provide the transcript and/or quote.]

Art Upton would be intimately familiar with this.  He also tried to keep
Hugh Henry's JAMA paper on low-dose (i.e., <1 rad/day!) studies from
getting pub'd - pub'd in May 1961.  But Henry didn't intend to make a
career in radiobiology! :-)  See e.g.:
http://radscihealth.org/rsh/dd3/2.3.1Henry61.html
http://radscihealth.org/rsh/dd3/3.2.1Henry61.html
http://radscihealth.org/rsh/dd3/3.2.1.2.3Henry61.html

I asked NRC people to check Charlie's claim.  (I had planned to pull
Charlie into the March '99 follow-up meeting, but he died late at night
at the NRC in January.)

I've asked people to examine the gray literature from then, with no
success.  Want to help?  (DOE expurgated AEC files, but other sources
exist.)

Some early worker info says some dogs were in shielded below-background
kennels (in abandoned wartime buildings), but their adverse effects were
not pub'd either.

Confirmatory studies could be done for less than $50 million, and done
now instead of years from now. :-)

Regards, Jim