[ RadSafe ] NYT Op-Ed: The Smoky Bomb Threat (on Po-210)

Muckerheide, Jim (CDA) Jim.Muckerheide at state.ma.us
Thu Dec 21 23:00:06 CST 2006

Controlling below 1.6 Ci is fine, but Zimmerman's anti-alpha stuff makes me finally understand why the constant massive releases of radon gas over millions of square miles of land surface, with its numerous alpha decay products AND constant accumulation of Po-210 on all surfaces, are so deadly!  And tobacco on top of that is "smoky" in spades!  Imagine the billions of Curies from a volcano.  Sure don't want to breate that!

Good grief.

I suppose we should know what inventory of which radionuclide(s) would deliver what dose from being burned!?  Should we assume that somebody throws their mouth over the whole fire to meet "nuclear safety analysis standards?"  And what if they swallow some?

Regards, Jim