[ RadSafe ]Baby-X in x-ray scanner

stewart farber radproject at sbcglobal.net
Fri Dec 22 14:13:10 CST 2006

Hi radsafe colleagues  [and Ms. Classic]:

Regarding what tests for harm were performed on the infant who was scanned
at the airport, I have a modest suggestion.

It would seem that the HPS Media Relations Program [note that this post has
been directed to Kelly Classic, HPS Media Relations Program Committee
member] should officially contact the reporter who wrote the original story.
The HPS should formally ask the reporter to pursue a follow-up story and
request from the hospital involved what evaluation [in general terms] they
would generally perform in assessing that an infant who received such a
small radiation exposure was not "injured" in any way.

By making the request a "hypothetical", the HPS or the reporter would not be
asking the physician/hospital involved to disclose patient information or
breach physician-patient confidentiality. If the hospital were willing to
actually disclose what tests they performed in this specific case, so much
the better.

If the hospital performed any kind of x-ray or CT scan it would document the
height of absurdity being applied to radiation risk response, and the need
for a meaningful evaluation of what hospitals do in various situations.

Stewart Farber, MS Public Health
Farber Technical Services
1285 Wood Ave.
Bridgeport, CT 06604