[ RadSafe ] howard Long - Fly for radiation hormesis!

John Jacobus crispy_bird at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 27 10:33:33 CST 2006

Dr. Long,
The effective dose of AP chest x-ray for an adult is
about 2 mrem (0.002 rem)
http://hps.org/documents/meddiagimaging.pdf

Are you still sitting on your bags of KCl ice melting
salt?  I would expect the background exposure rate to
be higher.

--- howard long <hflong at pacbell.net> wrote:

> Numbers, Reuven? The airport screen has been said
> here to be less than a chest x-ray (~0.001 rem?) My
> counter here says 0.00001 rem/hr.background.
>
>   Viva 10x USA background radiation for better
> health!
>
>   Howard Long MD MPH (epidemiology and statistics.
>

> Reuven <reuven99 at newsguy.com> wrote:
>   Fly for radiation hormesis!
>
> I bet that Mr. H. Long is unfamiliar with the
> now classic "How to Lie with Statistics" by Darrell
> Huff,
> Otherwise he would be more cautious and guarded in
> his
> unequivocal endorsement. [radsafe Digest, Vol 74,
> Issue 10]
>
> One does not need to resort to the expensive flying
> mode
> of prolonging one's life - A "healthy" (and
> "hefty!")
> dose of low energy radiation can be currently
> absorbed
> at the "new" x-ray total body booths at
> the near airport.
>
> Reuven Zach

On Nov. 26, 1942, President Roosevelt ordered nationwide gasoline
rationing, beginning December 1.

-- John
John Jacobus, MS
Certified Health Physicist