[ RadSafe ] Baby X -For what it's worth

stewart farber radproject at sbcglobal.net
Thu Dec 28 00:52:28 CST 2006

Hello everyone,
>From the Dec. 28th dotmed.com, about the infant passed through baggage screening unit, see brief article below referencing comment by President of the American College of Radiology as reported in LA Times.
Stewart Farber, MS Public Health
Farber Medical Solutions, LLC
1285 Wood Ave.
Bridgeport, CT 06604
[203] 441-8433 [office]
[203] 522-2817 [cell]
email: radproject at sbcglobal.net

Baby Sent Through Airport X-Ray Screening at LAX
December 26, 2006
by Barbara Kram, Assistant Editor
A woman put her one-month-old grandson in a bin intended to screen carry-on baggage, and the child was conveyed into the X-ray screening machine at LAX, the Los Angeles Times reported. Security screening personnel pulled the baby out as soon as possible and he was taken to the hospital.

"Rather than focus on the radiation dose, which is a small amount, we need to focus on why this happened, so it doesn't happen again," said ACR President James P. Borgstede, M.D. "Human beings weren't meant to go through those things." He added, "In the several seconds the baby spent in the machine, he was exposed to as much radiation as he would naturally get from cosmic rays - or high energy from outer space - in a day."

To read the Los Angeles Times article go to http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-baby20dec20,1,5234712.story
(Free registration may be required).