[ RadSafe ] howard Long - Fly for radiation hormesis!

ROY HERREN royherren2005 at yahoo.com
Sun Dec 31 20:25:26 CST 2006

Perhaps the good doctor would be so kind as to comment on the following press release:

  Public release date: 31-Dec-2006

Contact: Heather Cosel
coselpie at cshl.edu
Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory

  The DNA damage response and tumorigenesis    In the January 1 issue of G&D, Dr. Gerardo Ferbeyre and colleagues at the University of Montreal report that the DNA damage response pathway is a necessary mediator of oncogene-induced senescence. Using RNAi and a cell culture model of oncogene-induced senescence, the researchers determined that the DNA damage signaling pathways links oncogene expression (either STAT5A, E2F1 or Ras) and cellular senescence. Dr. Ferbeyre expects that "by identifying DNA damage as an early and persistent response to oncogenes, our work has implications for novel research approaches aimed to prevent cancer formation."
  ###

---------------------------------

howard long <hflong at pacbell.net> wrote:
  Numbers, Reuven? The airport screen has been said here to be less than a chest x-ray (~0.001 rem?) My counter here says 0.00001 rem/hr.background.

Viva 10x USA background radiation for better health!

Howard Long MD MPH (epidemiology and statistics.

Reuven wrote:
Fly for radiation hormesis!

I bet that Mr. H. Long is unfamiliar with the
now classic "How to Lie with Statistics" by Darrell Huff,
Otherwise he would be more cautious and guarded in his
unequivocal endorsement. [radsafe Digest, Vol 74, Issue 10]

One does not need to resort to the expensive flying mode
of prolonging one's life - A "healthy" (and "hefty!")
dose of low energy radiation can be currently absorbed
at the "new" x-ray total body booths at
the near airport.

Reuven Zach