[ RadSafe ] borated concrete

John_Rich at fpl.com John_Rich at fpl.com
Wed Feb 8 13:21:19 CST 2006

Radsafers,

We would like to use borated concrete in load bearing walls.  We have
considered adding a boron compound such as borax to the concrete when it is
being mixed.  Can anyone point me to references that discuss the concrete
properties when borax is mixed in?  Can anyone point me to experience with
other boron compounds that have been added to the concrete.

We can do the neutron shielding calculations so we'll have a good idea how
much boron is needed, but we don't have information on the physical
properties of concrete with the additives.

thanx in advance  - - john

John Rich
Sargent & Lundy Engineers
(561) 691-2902