[ RadSafe ] IAEA DACs

James Salsman james at bovik.org
Wed Feb 8 17:22:17 CST 2006

Julian Ginniver wrote:

>... employers in the US are required to comply with the OSHA
> standards.  If this is the case and reproductive, developmental,
> immuniological and neurotoxicities are address by these then it
> doesn't make sense (to me at least) for the NRC to regulate these.

There are no differences between OSHA and NRC exposure limits for
Uranium-238(VI) compounds such as uranyl oxide and uranyl nitrate,
for example.  Both allow 0.2 mg/m^3.  The OSHA guidelines don't
mention the reproductive, developmental, immunological or
neurotoxicities at all.  United States Code, Title 42, Section
2114, requires the NRC to "protect the public health and safety
and the environment from radiological and non-radiological hazards"
of Uranium-238 produced as a byproduct of isotopic refinement.

http://www.osha.gov/dts/chemicalsampling/data/CH_274900.html

http://www.nrc.gov/reading-rm/doc-collections/cfr/part020/appb/footnotes.html#3

Sincerely,
James Salsman